Thursday, October 15, 2009

Young kids picking on even younger kids.... and then their parents.

As you may know by now I have three young children, my oldest is eight and in third grade. My middle child is six and in first grade and my baby is five and in kindergarten. About two weeks ago it was brought to my attention that one of the neighbor kids has been making fun of my six year old. This is not just little name calling such as "meany" or anything like that. This eight year old is calling my son "grown up names" and calling our next door neighbors' five year old the same type of stuff. When I thought my daughter was done telling me about this stuff she said wait there is more. Turns out this child made a very nasty joke about my son licking his penis. WOW! What does a parent do? I could have gone to the other child's mother, but was hesitant since she has a history of confrontation with other parents. I marched, well walked angarly in to the school office. At this point I need to explain our school. It consists of about 150 students, preschool through eighth grade. One teacher per grade, and the principal is also the superintendent of the this one school, school district. Any way, I go to the school and talk first with the school councilor. She makes notes of what I say is going on. She also let it slip that she knows the child in question quite well. I think to myself, what is wrong with this kid, because something obviously is. When we are done talking we go the the principal. He is very busy at that moment but the counselor starts whispering to him and he instantly gets up and we head to his office. I retell everything again and his words are "that is grossly wrong". He has me write down every thing that this poor child (yes I feel sorry for him) has done, and say that this matter will be taken care of. I ask to have my daughter sit away from him on the bus, and in school if possible. Since we share the same bus, bus stop and they are in the same class some of that may prove difficult. So, I bet you are wondering where the child's parent comes into play with all this. I got a call from the child's mother shortly after my children got home from school. I now know where the child gets it from. This mother would not let me get a word in edge wise. In her eyes I am the root of all evil, and the cause of all of her problems to boot. Now, wait a minute, how can I be the cause of this persons problem if I have only ever spoken to her two time in my whole life? I know, I tattle on her child. As the conversation, one sided mind you, wore on she got louder and louder, and ended it with a threat. She said "Since you caused me problems, I will cause you and your family problems". At that I politely said good bye and hung up. How I kept my cool I will never know. It may have been the fact that my six year old was in earshot and knew who it was I was talking, or rather not talking to. Since all of this took place we (my husband and I) called a family meeting, we decided it was good time to talk about bullying.

No comments:

Post a Comment